橫幅圖片

Trading Port (Kaohsiung Harbor under British colonization)

  • Taiwan opens up to international trade
    Ratified by the Convention of Peking in 1860, Anping and Tamsui were opened up to international trade, later followed by Keelung and Takao.
  • British Consulate
    The Kaohsiung Customs Authority was formally established in 1863. Robert Swinhoe was named the first Consul to the island of Formosa.

Kaohsiung Harbor under Japanese colonization

  • Kaohsiung Harbor is a rocky port with a shallow bay area and shoreline. Proposals to construct a port in Kaohsiung were already submitted during the early stages of Japanese colonization.
  • Engineer Kawakami Kojiro and Head of Civilian Affairs Goto Shinpei led a delegation to inspect Southern Taiwan in 1899, highlighting the necessity of improving Takao Harbor after surveying the port terrain. They submitted a proposal for the development of Kaohsiung Harbor and construction commenced in 1908. In 1910, the container throughput of Kaohsiung Harbor surpassed that of Keelung Harbor.
  • The first construction phase of Kaohsiung Harbor (Hamasen) commenced in 1908 and was completed in 1912.
  • The second phase (Penglai Commercial Port, Yanchengpu, Lingyaliao, and Shishihjia) commenced in 1912 and was completed in 1937
  • In addition to port construction, Takao Prefecture announced its plans to convert Shishihjia into an industrial park focused on developing military-related industries in 1936. The park attracted companies such as Taiwan Fertilizer Company, Japan Aluminum Company, Nippon Chemical Industrial Company, and Taiwan Ironworks to establish branches in Kaohsiung.
  • The third phase commenced in 1937. However, funding was severed due to the outbreak of the Pacific War.

Kaohsiung Harbor after WWII

  • A period of depression fell over Kaohsiung Harbor immediately after WWII. Many key facilities were destroyed, and over 170 ships were sunk in the harbor area. Only ships below three hundred tons could barely enter the port.
  • The Kaohsiung Harbor Bureau (KHB) was established between 1945 and 1952. The KHB took charge of harbor restoration and improvement.
  • Between 1958 and 1970, the KHB undertook a twelve-year harbor expansion project to reclaim 534 hectares of shoreline.
  • A second harbor area was built between 1967 and 1975.

Economic Development Project

  • After the Nationalist Government retreated to Taiwan, it assumed control of the chemical and aluminum factories in Shishihjia Industrial Park, which became the four major state-owned enterprises in Taiwan (Taiwan Aluminum Company, Taiwan Alkali Company, Taiwan Fertilizer Company, and Taiwan Machinery and Shipbuilding Company) and the actuators of industrial development of Kaohsiung after WWII.
  • The Economic Stabilization Board of Taiwan, Executive Yuan launched the first phase of a four-year economic development project in 1953. Kaohsiung was named a key region for industrial development. The project actuated the rise of the plywood and shipbreaking industries.

Kaohsiung Export Processing Zone

  • The reclamation of Chungtao during the dredging of Kaohsiung Harbor enabled the launch of the first ever export processing zone on 3 December 1966. Kaohsiung Harbor couples export processing with free trade, tax exemption, and industrial parks to achieve the goal of “expanding international trade, attracting industrial investment, introducing the latest techniques, and increasing employment opportunities.”
  • Kaohsiung Export Processing Zone served as a special economic zone to promote national and regional economic development. Successful outcomes not only actuated economic growth and created foreign currency, but also set the solid foundation that led to Taiwan’s economic miracle. Taiwan became a role model for many developing countries.

Transformation of the old Kaohsiung Harbor

  • 1999 was a turning point in the development of Kaohsiung Harbor, wherein the harbor achieved the third highest container throughput in the world, second only to Hong Kong and Singapore. However, the facilities in Kaohsiung Harbor gradually became inadequate to cope with the perpetual global increase in ship size and traditional port industries could not satisfy the demand for economic transformation. Industrial and production operations gradually shifted south to the new harbor area, while the old harbor area transitioned into a people-centered harbor catering for tourists.