~1999

The Port in the past
History

The Port of Kaohsiung, formerly known as “Takow Harbor,” used to be a fishing village in the late Ming dynasty. After some development during the Dutch rule and Koxinga’s regime, it became a distribution hub for the Kaohsiung and Pingtung areas in the early Qing dynasty. In 1858 (during the reign of Xianfeng Emperor of the Qing dynasty), the Port of Kaohsiung opened to foreign trade due to the Treaty of Tientsin. For this purpose, Kaohsiung Customs was established in 1863. During the reign of Guangxu Emperor, the government built and repaired the artillery and other defenses here, which drew frequent visits from the consuls of the United Kingdom and France as well as foreign traders.

2000~

The Port at present
Present

The inauguration of the Kaohsiung Exhibition Center and four other major public construction projects marked the first step towards the transformation of Kaohsiung into a new harbor city. The Asia's New Bay Area project, which aims to build a world-class port area, will help to gradually transform Kaohsiung into a world-renowned harbor metropolis by creating more waterfront spaces to attract foreign investment in sectors such as cultural and creative industries, information technology, and tourism.

The Port in the future
Future

Kaohsiung City Government and Taiwan International Ports Corporation have jointly established Port Land Development Corporation to accelerate the transformation and development of the old port area and turn it into one of the country’s largest bay areas. The city government will also continue to cooperate with state-owned (or public) enterprises in facilitating the comprehensive development of the waterfront. With the Asia's New Bay Area project as the drive to stimulate industrial transformation, Kaohsiung aims to build a new landmark in Asia and increase its exposure to the world.